KC Cross doesn’t fit the mold of the typical cyclist depicted in the media. They are black, queer, and non-binary. They prefer community over competition, social rides that involve tacos and beer over long days in the saddle, and using the bike as a tool for advocacy rather than racing. In Beyond the Binary, KC shares their journey to understanding the intersections of their own identity and how they are working to create a more inclusive and accessible cycling culture.
Filmed in 2021 in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Beyond the Binary sheds light on the rigidness of gender, being black in America, mental health, and the ways that the bicycle has helped them find community and healing.
To learn more, please take a look at the following resources:
2. Understanding Non-Binary People: How to Be Respectful and Supportive
3. Coming Out: Living Authentically as Trans or Nonbinary
4. 4 Things Cis Folks Are Clueless About Trans Folk
5. Guide To Being an Ally to Transgender & Nonbinary Youth
6. Suicide Prevention from The Trevor Project
7. National Queer & Trans Therapists of Color Network
8. Understanding What It Means to Be Nonbinary